Can anyone with an AMD64 install (esp. gentoo) give me a tip on
how to help xmame speed?

My new FX-53 is giving me nowhere near the previous X86-64
thread speed, let alone anywhere close to Windows benchmarks
here:
http://www.classicgaming.com/mame32qa/bench.htm

I'm lucky to see 139 fps in pacman and 28 fps in wargods.
99fps in kof2000.  That's in DGA, with a few percent speedup
over x11 window.  Now since I doubt a new K8 is only 3X faster
than a K6-3 I must be doing something seriously wrong.

My RAM tests fine, and I only enabled ECC.  No scrubbing.
There is a new stable BIOS for ASUS SK8V that I will try.
Company claims this is important for revCG K8s, which FX-53 is.
The kernel is 2.6.5, but configured by gentoo's genkernel.
I do have idle=poll turned on in the kernel, but that should
only affect power usage when idle.
I am using xorg-x11 instead of XFree86, because it is the new
gentoo amd64 requirement.
I do not overclock, nor do I use crazy compiler settings.  I
use -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe, which should be stable for
gcc 3.3.3.
The graphics card is the Radeon 9700 Pro, using the radeon
driver supplied with xorg-x11. It supports 2D only, but that
should be adequate.

I've also observed segfaults when trying Xv mode in
xmame-0.81.1 and corruption in Xv in xmame-0.78.1.

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks!