Nguyen The Toan wrote :

> Hi, I know this is off topic but I want to ask for some help choosing
> which video card to buy.

I've just built an AMD64 system, and wanted everything to work "out of the
box" with Fedora Core 2 for x86_64. For the video card, I chose a "Powered
by ATI" (ATI chip, not well known brand) Radeon 9200 SE, which is the
highest performance card which currently has 3D acceleration with the free
drivers found in XFree86 and xorg-x11 (AFAIK of course, my laptop's 9600
doesn't have 3D acceleration yet for instance). It has VGA, DVI and TV out,
and from what I saw using the Fedora Core default monitor setup utility, it
can output on both the VGA and the DVI at the same time.

All this for only 37___, which is a little more than the $25 you're thinking
of spending, but for me it's definitely worth the difference!

Oh, I have been having problems with xmame's xv target though, for which
only a few games seem to work, so I've been using the xgl one for now, but
there is this weird artifact of getting a thin grey diagonal line across
the entire screen with it... I've been waiting for 0.84 to further check
and report these problems, as I don't even know if they're related to the
video driver or to the 64bit architecture ;-)

In short, if you want good 2D _and_ 3D performance without using
proprietary closed source drivers, the Radeon 9200 is certainly today's
best choice. Remember that freedom is priceless, so it not having to tweak
this and that after every kernel upgrade, or waiting for a vendor to fix
his drivers when they become incompatible with the latest free technologies
(think NVidia and 2.6 kernel, NVidia and 4k kernel stacks, ATI and its
broken xv on recent cards etc.).

Matthias

--
Matthias Saou                                World Trade Center
-------------                                Edificio Norte 4 Planta