Am Samstag, den 25.11.2006, 16:16 -0500 schrieb Daniel Veillard:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 09:26:27PM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > If I want to add an entry to the catalog, I have to specify the catalog
> > file:
> >
> > xmlcatalog --add 'TYPE' 'ORIG' 'REPLACE' $CATALOG
> >
> > but removing an entry works without giving the catalog file
> >
> > xmlcatalog --del 'VALUE'
> >
> > Normally I would have expected, taht even the `--add' option does not
> > require a catalog file (Shouldn't it simply try to examine
> > XML_CATALOG_FILES)? Or is this behaviour dedicated to the fact, that
> > XML_CATALOG_FILES can be a list of catalogs (which isn't a problem, if
> > en entry shall be removed)? But in this case I would expect, that --del
> > accepts a catalog file too.
>
>   Looking at xmlcatalog.c code and the 2 APIs used underneath
> namely xmlCatalogAdd() and xmlCatalogRemove(), I don't see any difference
> in code between both option w.r.t. what catalog are loaded and affected.
>  If you don't specify a catalog the default one is used in both cases.
> Sorry I don't really understand the problem. This should work the same
> in both cases, either with an explicit catalog or a default catalog.
> However in the add case, assuming the orig value was matched by an entry
> in the system catalog, maybe you just can't change that system catalog,
> but it's just suppositions.

Ok. Here with two examples (maybe I'm just too stupid):

The --add option definitely does not work without a specified
catalog-file on the command line:

$ xmlcatalog --verbose --add 'publicId' 'foo' 'bar'
add command failed
Catalogs cleanup

Even the following fails:

XML_CATALOG_FILES="/path/to/my/catalog.xml" xmlcatalog --verbose --noout
(--create) --add 'publicId' 'foo' 'bar'

fails with the same error. I would have expected, that in the first
case, I see the catalog on stdout (like --del works). In the second
case, the given file should be updated/created. So far my understaing of
the manpage. As I said, maybe I just made a mistake.

Used is libxml2 from Debian/Sid

Regards, Daniel