Well, then I suppose my version (2.7.3; Jan 2009) has a bug.
On a related note: Apple get your damn OSS libs up-to-date already!

I just checked the libxml release notes and found two candidates:

Update 2.7.4 lists the following bug fix: "579746 XSD validation not correct /
nilable groups (Daniel Veillard)"
Update 2.7.8 lists the following bug fix: "Fix errors in XSD double validation
check (Csaba Raduly)"

Will try again with the latest build.

Thanks for your help, Rémi!

Ps: Oh and thanks for the leak. :)