I'm afraid I can't help out much more, here (you're problem goes
beyond my meager capabilities). But if you haven't tried
xsdtorngconverter, it may be worth a shot:
http://code.google.com/p/xsdtorngconverter/

I cannot vouch that it works well, but I tried it on the snippet of
XSD you posted, and the resulting RELAX NG looked quite reasonable.
(And quite easy to change to do what you want.)