Well,
the simpliest solution I've found on my own is like that:

xml = xmlReaderForFile("example.xml", NULL, 0);
xmlTextReaderRead(xml);
doc = xmlTextReaderCurrentDoc(xml);
root = xmlDocGetRootElement(doc);
agent = xmlGetProp(root, "agent");

and then proceed with the rest of parsing using the Reader interface, as
usual.
Do not forget to use xmlFreeDoc(doc) at the end of parsing.