Would this be correct?
XmlRpcClientConfigImpl config = new XmlRpcClientConfigImpl();
               config.setConnectionTimeout(2000);
               config.setReplyTimeout(5000);
               this.client = new XmlRpcClient();
               this.client.setConfig(config);
this.client.setTransportFactory(new XmlRpcSun15HttpTransportFactory(this.client));

I tried it, but still get about 20 seconds before the XML-RPC invocation fails.

Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
http://ws.apache.org/xmlrpc/apidocs/org/apache/xmlrpc/client/XmlRpcClient.html#setTransportFactory(org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcTransportFactory)