http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/#sec-ReferenceProcessingModel:

The |Transforms| specified in this document are defined with respect to the input they require.
The following is the default signature application behavior:

   * If the data object is an octet stream and the next transform
     requires a node-set,
     the signature application MUST attempt to parse the octets
     yielding the required
     node-set via [XML <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/#ref-XML>]
     well-formed processing.
   * If the data object is a node-set and the next transform requires
     octets, the signature
     application MUST attempt to convert the node-set to an octet
     stream using
     Canonical XML [XML-C14N
     <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/#ref-XML-C14N>].

Which means that if you do not specify C14N then the default one would be used
when needed.

Aleksey

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi Folks!

I would like to ask you a simple thing - should I canonicalize
all signed content before calculating the digest or not?
XML-DSIG says I should canonicalize <SignedInfo> but
for verifying <Reference> -s XML-DSIG says just apply the Transform-s
and calculate the digest. So if a <Reference> contains a digest of some
block of xml data, should it be canonicalized or not?

Regards,

Veiko