You might want to read the spec

http://www.w3.org/Signature/Overview.html

Note the section about IV and exact CBC mode for aes
encryption.

Aleksey

Balakrishnan Viswanathan wrote:
Aleksey,

I was able to use the templates and encrypt an xml file using xmlsec, the result is like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<EncryptedData xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#"; MimeType="text/plain">

<EncryptionMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#aes256-cbc"/>

  <KeyInfo xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#";>

    <EncryptedKey xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#";>

<EncryptionMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#rsa-1_5";>

<DigestMethod xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"; Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1"/>

      </EncryptionMethod>

      <KeyInfo xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#";>

      </KeyInfo>

      <CipherData>

<CipherValue>sPReUF+uwZhGoyq1keMI0zS0x5pJfAOv0P4GQpDiq4SkGcKL1VgQLEZb0t7cWJsF

EVYlhLH/UX1KSR4LsD0rPtYxzyl9u1MwE78AXJmD/WpmhzuYbhGaPS4G8aBLtV4o

EphXZIut0gZUQNM4VcKBV+kKjp+pYvTJQo9ZnROszFk=</CipherValue>

      </CipherData>

    </EncryptedKey>

  </KeyInfo>

  <CipherData>

<CipherValue>0WJE6bRu1Bmu6nf7M78ZAZkeZQWSXtuGcf8X3y28ZIWHY6UFv+5HsxRTXKQ107aD

3Rh1g5FjSZwqhHH1pJWMXKkm8L8cryXRkDbPjhYcufVwgb6m+d2xJn2H3fKdylRy

qLRK+0EPZ2QA2G7auVXKvX6zpemcb9diXSPoy4gFX1DeNReJXqvSHHSxbDBHRA7W

3uFbV7isUrELh0aYnWRIyimTf2RdgqXzFN8maR9x8AI=</CipherValue>

  </CipherData>

</EncryptedData>

I was able to decrypt the encrypted symmetric key between the first <CipherData>..</CipherData> node manually using openssl with commands

openssl rsautl -inkey leafkey.pem -decrypt -in sessionkeyraw -raw –out sessionkey.dec

the above steps output binary data into sessionkey.dec, I am able to see using command below

 openssl enc -in sessionkey.dec –p

However, when I try to decrypt the payload (second <CipherData>…</CipherData> node)with the retrieved key using command

openssl enc -d -a -in payload.b64.enc -kfile sessionkey.decrypt -out payload

The above returns but payload contains binary data, shouldn’t I be seeing an xml file?.

-Bala