There is no failure. This error just indicates that one of the
attempts to verify the certificates chain failed. xmlsec-openssl
performs certification against different sets of trusted certs:
1) ones from the openssl installation
2) ones you specify in the command line

One of the attempts failed. That's it. You can safely ignore this error.

Aleksey

Paul Keeler wrote:
The 5 certificates represent a whole certificate chain in order from signer back to self-signed trusted root. If I use the fifth certificate as a trusted root (extract it to file, add the begin/end certificate tags, and use the --trusted-pem option), then my understanding is that I should be able to verify the signature and the entire certificate chain. Surely there should be no failure? Am I missing something here?

Thanks again.