>> I've created last.fm scrobbler using their 2.0 API, since the current
>> one was not working properly.
>> It's a Perl script that parses "xmms2 current" output and acts upon it.
>> I am currently testing it by running it in a loop, like this:
>>
>> while [ true ]; do
>> xmms2 current | ./script.pl
>> sleep 30
>> done
>>
>> but I thought there would be a better way to get notified by xmms2
>> e.g. when track changes.
>
> If you want to use perl, there definitely is, since we have perl
> client bindings :).

Thanks for the pointer, I overlooked the Perl client bindings when
looking at Debian packages, most likely because for Python it's called
python-xmmsclient, for Ruby it's ruby-xmmsclient but for Perl it's
libaudio-xmmsclient-perl, but maybe it's a naming convention.

> I'd start by looking at
> https://git.xmms2.org/xmms2/xmms2-tutorial/tree/perl/tut6.pl.
> After applying the attached patch, it'll print the ID of the current
> song whenever the track changes.
>
> $ perl tut6.pl
> Current id is 47
> Current id is 499
> Current id is 650
> Current id is 900
> Current id is 733
> Current id is 783
> Current id is 108
> Current id is 894
> Current id is 717
> Current id is 395
> ^C
>
> The code for the perl bindings, to see what is available, is at
> https://git.xmms2.org/xmms2/xmms2-devel/tree/src/clients/lib/perl.

Thanks, I was able to get the async part working with some minor modifications.
I'm seeing one problem though, when I have my script running, and I
quit xmms2 via "xmms2 quit", I get infinite loop of the following
messages:

 ******
 * xmmsc_io_in_handle was called although the xmms2 daemon is not connected
 * This is probably an error in the application using libxmmsclient
 ******

Any idea why?
Thanks a lot for your support.
m.