Excerpts from Adam Jackson's message of Tue Oct 06 08:07:02 -0700 2009:

> So, given the choice between an API that's simple for applications, and
> one that's complicated for applications, you prefer the one that's
> complicated?

No, I see two different problems here - the first is to create a
mechanism so that the randr client can figure out which combinations
of modes are supported. The second issue is to make the mode
transitions cleaner when changing a bunch of stuff all at once.

The first one seems like a requirement to support hardware with memory
bandwidth constraints, the second one would make mode switching
significantly faster, but not improve hardware support.

--
keith.pack...@intel.com