Errata: If you know a GIMP specific or any solution to it, of course I'd like
to hear it! I just meant that it could distract the discussion :)

On 07/26/2010 03:30 PM, Cedric Sodhi wrote:
Ok, in all detail, I would not have neglected to describe the whole
situation if I had known that you'd like to hear it - was just trying to
keep it short, or, as I usually put it:

I was trying to keep it abstract to make it as hard as possible to find
a solution.

^^

In my case the application I'm doing this for is The GIMP, but please be
reminded that this is just an example and you could take any other
application where such problem could occur. So please, even if you know
that coming versions of the GIMP solve this or know another, GIMP
sepcific solution to this, don't mention it, I'm looking for a generic
XOrg specific way which solves this once and for good!

Particularily, I want to make a space-navigator device [1] control the
view in the GIMP by MAPPING BUTTONS TO AXES, because the GIMP lacks
native support to properly map axes to actions.

But usually anything interactive such as panning, scrolling, etc
requires configuring a specific repeat-rate and of course, the button
itsself. EVDev doesn't support proper repeat rates not to mention axes
beyond X and Y.

I hope this became very clear now.

PS: Please rule out other solutions, I've quite checked everything and X
is not only the only possible options, it is also the GENERIC and THUS
PREFFERED way of managing such a setup.

Thanks.

[1] http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacenavigator.html