On 11/16/13 06:33 AM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 06:39:58PM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
On 11/15/13 06:18 PM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 06:03:25PM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
libX11-xcb only accesses data structures defined in X11 headers,
it doesn't call any functions or reference any global variables
in libX11 itself.  (Seems to have been left from previous XCL
implementation.)

You should bump the library version number for that (line above that).

Why?  It doesn't change what's exported by this library.

If something relied on this library to pull in libX11, it will now
fail. (Not that I say that doing this was a good idea or correct.)

Sorry, I'm used to platforms where that's not possible - the linker will
throw an error if you call libX11 functions and don't specify -lX11
directly.  The x11-xcb.pc does still specify linking with both libX11 &
libxcb, so callers still should be getting that in their linker commands.
(Whether that's a good idea or not is a separate discussion.)

Are there many people using platforms where the linker allows such bugs,
and they use this newish library without getting the flags from pkg-config,
and they didn't already link with -lX11 for all the other X calls they make?

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersm...@oracle.com