Hi,

On 02/13/2014 07:37 AM, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> 13.02.2014 04:26, David Herrmann wrote:
>> The "attach" stuff actually sounds doable, but who decides which one
>> to attach? You still need some user-space script during device-plug
>> for that.
>> But to be honest, the simplest way would be a "backlightd"
>> bus-activatable daemon. SetBacklight() then takes a DRM-connector and
>> brightness-value, which the daemon looks up in /sys and sets.. This
>> has the advantage that we can do any fancy matching in user-space. We
>> can provide quirks (maybe even via udev-hwdb) and other helpers for
>> weird setups.
>
> What would be done with Samsung monitors (like an old SyncMaster 770P) that
> have a DVI connection, no physical buttons and have to be controlled via
> DDC-CI? Currently, ddccontrol works (via /dev/i2c-*), but only from root. I
> would like this use case to be covered in such a way that it could work both
> in Xorg and in Wayland, and, if possible, without races related to i2c usage
> from the kernel and from userspace.

The nice thing about having a userspace daemon for this is that we can
actually add some support for DCC-CI too.

WRT races between user and kernelspace, those can be avoided by using
the I2C_RDWR ioctl, in this case you can specify multipel i2c writes /
reads which will all get executed as one transaction, note this
assumes that the protocol supports repeated START conditions,
if it needs a STOP condition and still needs everything to be in
one transaction, then things become trickier. This also assumes
that the i2c controller driver used supports I2C_FUNC_I2C

Regards,

Hans