On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 09:22:18AM -0500, Alex Villací­s Lasso wrote:
> El 02/10/13 05:19, Chris Wilson escribió:
> >On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 06:15:00PM -0500, Alex Villací­s Lasso wrote:
> >>I have seen this graphics freeze under stock 3.10.x from the Fedora
> >>18 x86_64 distro, and also with vanilla compiled 3.11 and 3.12-rc3.
> >>After a few hours of working, the screen stops updating. The mouse
> >>pointer moves around and changes if moved over different parts of
> >>the screen, but the display itself does not change anymore. If I
> >>check /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state right then (via a
> >>remote ssh), there is no error captured. However, if I do "echo 1 >
> >>/sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_wedged", after a few moments an error
> >>is captured, as well as messages in the kernel log, both of which
> >>are attached. If I try to restart the gnome-shell session, I get the
> >>KMS console, and then the start of the graphic login, but then the
> >>graphic login itself freezes again.
> >>
> >>Is the attached information enough to diagnose the issue?
> >Afaict it was a userspace hang, the GPU was rightfully idle. Only on the
> >reset did it actually die.
> If I do "echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_wedged" when the display is
> not frozen, I only get the following in dmesg, and the system keeps working
> normally:
> [  323.441616] [drm] Manually setting wedged to 1
> [  323.441622] [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in
> /sys/class/drm/card0/error
> [  348.955655] [drm] Manually setting wedged to 0
>
> Is it to be expected that an "userspace hang" will escalate into a failed
> reset when setting i915_wedged to 1, without anything being actually wrong at
> the kernel side, at least at first?

Yes, your chipset is notorious for not being able to restart the rings.
We've added a few attempts to workaround the issue, but I'm not
surprised if it still occasionally fails.

> >I'd suggest looking at the stacktraces of the usual suspects and see who
> >is waiting upon whom, or if there is a more obvious lockup. Then begin
> >the painful process of tracing the interoperation of those two processes
> >to try and catch the breakdown.
> >-Chris
> >
> I think Xorg is one of the "usual suspects". Should gnome-shell be one too?
> This is a Fedora 18 desktop with gnome-shell as installed from the DVD.

X and gnome-shell are the two responsible for working together and
presenting your desktop, so would definitely be the first to check for
an error.
-Chris