I added a custom XKB layout variant to /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst and
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/cz. I can set it using setxkbmap and it works. When
I upgrade my distribution or update Xorg, the variant is gone. From what I've
read, I concluded I can't reliably add a custom variant (or any layout
modification) to XKB.

My variant is Colemak optimised for writing Czech letters. Some languages have
its own Colemak variant in preinstalled layouts but not Czech and anyone typing
with Colemak in Czech can use it.

What has to be done to have a variant added for distribution with Xorg?

The only answer I found is at
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-July/026537.html but the link
in that letter leads to a site with text “Sorry, entering a bug into the
product xkeyboard-config has been disabled.”

I'll be thankful for information relevant to this, especially for an answer to
my question or some information about how to reliably add keyboard variant to
XKB.
Matěj Bagar