On Sun, 23 Jul 2023 20:22:18 +0000 (UTC) Michael K <vk2...@yahoo.com> said:

> OK, I got xtrace to work ("$ x11trace -n -D 192.168.1.1:10.0" & have the
> instrument connect to display 10.0) and it was more instructive...
>
> Got connection from 192.168.1.16:6144
> 000:<: am msb-first want 11:0 authorising with '' of length 0
> 000:>: Failed, version is 11:0 reason is '  Prohibited client endianess, see
> the Xserver man page '.
>

> So as per the man page I added +byteswappedclients to the Xorg command line
> and it works!

wow... i've never encountered that before. in all these decades... well well. :)

> The HP instrument runs a Motorola MC68020 (big endian) & my RPI ARM is set up
> as little endian. Back in the day I think most machines were big endian
> (before *nix on Intel processors became a thing)

yup. most boxes that ran x were big endian back in the day... :) but i never
saw any connection barf because of this. i connected little and big endian boxes
often enough. this must have changed somewhere along the way to restrict
that... :)

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com