On Sat, 26 Aug 2023, Ahmad Nouralizadeh wrote:

I want to count the processor-initiated memory accesses. On my 4K display, a
huge number of accesses originate from the iGPU and dedicated GPU. I want to
exclude these accesses. The IMC counter can
only track the dedicated GPU accesses. Therefore, I have to turn the screen off
to exclude those originated from the iGPU.

Those accesses might not stop with just the display off - some applications may keep redrawing.

The simplest solution would be to boot to console mode with X off. The display will still work, but GPU usage would be minimal.

There is more than one console (usually), you can switch between them with Alt-F1, Alt-F2, etc..

There are also ways to restrict profiling to a single process,
like "perf top -p 12345".

best

Vladimir Dergachev

On Saturday, August 26, 2023, 08:10:15 PM GMT+4:30, Dave Howorth
<x...@howorth.org.uk> wrote:

On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 15:28:52 +0000 (UTC)
Ahmad Nouralizadeh <ahmadnouraliza...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I need to run a set of (graphical) benchmarks with the screen
> disabled.

Can I ask why? What is you're trying to accomplish? Somehow affect the
benchmarks? Stop people seeing the benchmarks being performed?

And what is the benchmark measuring? Elapsed time or CPU time or what?

Turn the display off and run the benchmarks by ssh-ing in from another
machine?