On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Bj|rn Englund wrote:

> Sat Dec 15 2001, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> >
> >    So, it's going to change at sometime when there's an official
> > API.   XFree86 will be backwards compatible with the old
> > protocol but the sample implementation and all the commercial
> > vendors won't acknowledge the current protocol.  You just have
> > to keep that in mind, and you'll be expected to rewrite all
> > your Xinerama awareness code at some point if you want it to
> > work with anything other than XFree86.  The current solution
> > was a hack to keep the Enlightenment guys happy.
>
> I understand that things will have to be rewritten when there
> is an official standard. But since many progams/people uses
> Xinerama as it is now, would it be possible to add this feature
> (physical size) to the existing non official API or
> do you expect an official API soon?
> Or should I just use an external config file where the user
> can specifiy the sizes of the screens for the time
> until the official API ?
> I understand if you don't have the time to do this, but do you
> think it would be a good idea?
> At least this possibility should be in the official version.

   It's not in the drafts of the official version.  This has
never been considered at all as far as I can tell.

   Is the size of the screen actually useful?  DPI seems more
useful, but even that doesn't make sense with XFree86's virtual
desktops.

> I have another question about Xinerama too.
> Is it possible to have several resolutions configured and switch
> with <ctrl><alt><+/-> on individual screens or all together or
> not at all when Xinerama is enabled?

   It's the same as normal multihead.  The resolutions change
on the individual screens but the portion of the desktop that
they can view (via desktop panning) does not.

                        Mark.