The main reason I went with the 4.X series is 'cause I'd read on the 'net
that it has the ability to use APM (DPMS?) to darken laptop backlights,
but I haven't seen the ability to do this anywhere.

I've got a ProStar (AKA Sager/Kapok/Clevo/...) laptop with a dumber BIOS
than my Transmonde, so it doesn't dim the backlight automatically via the
BIOS and will stay on forever.

I know it can be done programmatically, as Windows '98 can do it with no
special S3 Virge (/MX) driver necessary, just the generic one off of the
S3 site. If it's just a matter of adding the relevant code in, I guess
I could do it if someone knows the spec.

Any clues, or have I been misinformed?

        -Kenny

p.s. - BTW, thanks, Adam Richter- your CR33 fixes (which I got off
Kevin B's site) fixed the VT-switching problem that also plagued me (and
had me pulling my hair out trying to find the XF86Config option that
I'd assumed made it happen).
--
Kenneth R. Crudup   Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
Home1: PO Box 914         Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914         [EMAIL PROTECTED]