Over the holidays I fixed XF86VidModeAddModeLine and
XF86VidModeSwitchToMode in my local copy of 4_1-branch.  My patch though
is very strange and not entirely correct.

  I don't believe the current CVS code ever worked for anyone: I felt I
was completing the code rather than bugfixing it.  That said, I'm
worried that my patch may be missing the intention of the code and how
it is supposed to work.  For example, when should the new modelines be
validated and how to return errors to the user.

  Who is currently 'in charge' of this code?

  My application is my deinterlacer.  I was attempting to build
modelines on the fly to soft-genlock the monitor refresh to the incoming
video signal.  Since this is proving difficult, I now generate modelines
on the fly with sufficiently high refresh rates to hide judder effects.

  It's going ok so far. Much easier with a working VidMode extension. :)

--
Billy Biggs