Hi Michel :

Thanks for your answer.

> I can only guess why 4.0.3 worked better than 4.1.0; I guess it's
> because the r128 driver in 4.0.3 didn't properly support 420 video (or
> was it 422? I forget :) yet.

I don't know exactly what are those 420 and 422 ? Image formats ?
How does that justify
the fact that mpeg2 overlay performance degraded ? What I complain about
(with XFree 4.1 and XFree 4.2 DRI disabled) is a very high cpu load when
using XV output, which causes frame dropping. With Xshm output I get no
frame drops and Xv was supposed to provide better performance, so I have
to conclude that Xv output is broke in either 4.1 and 4.2 , in the latter
case it is broke in 2 different ways (but only for mpeg).

> > X complained then about drm modules beiing old, so I downloaded the latest
> > one from dri.sf.net , compiled and instaled the module at /lib/modules/ ....
> >
> > The result was as follows with dri enabled:
> >
> > 1 - Now bttv no longer freezes the system if used with dri enabled (hooray)
> > 2 - The KDM login screen is completely messed (widgets are garbaged, not
> > drawn properly)
>
> I have fixed this in DRI CVS and submitted the fix to XFree86.
>
> Both 1) and 2) are due to the fact that the r128 driver does 2D
> acceleration differently with DRI enabled now. I'm sure you've also
> noticed the better 2D performance. :)

I read that the 2d acceleration mode had to be changed because it was
incompatible with the use of bttv, but why have two diferent
implmentations ?

What I noticed was that with DRI enabled Xv ouput was smooth again before
crashing (colors were wrong though), but that was the usual situation with
4.03 regardless of DRI beeing enabled or disabled.

> > 3 - This is the weird part: Xv is messed, the colors don't match the real
> > ones, they are completely changed and there is an horizontal strip with a
> > diferent color variation with xine and a lot of garbage with mplayer, X
> > freezes a short time after switching to and from  fullscreen (except for the
> > mouse). Strangely during the time before X freezes  there are no framedrops
> > but they come back with dri disabled.
> >
> > What is exactly the relation of Xvideo and dri ?
>
> They are conceptually independent, however as of 4.2.0, the r128 driver
> tries to take advantage of the DRM to accelerate Xv image transfer.
> Unfortunately, this doesn't work well with some chips, and there are
> also problems coordinating this with the new 2D acceleration yet.

hmm, I had a very quick look at dri.sf.net info, and I think I read drm
was 3d only and that 2d data would allways go to the X server (they have a
picture :) ). Did this change ? Is drm going to be used for 2d in the
future ?

> Until these issues are sorted out, use of the DRM for Xv should be an
> option which defaults to off. I'll submit a patch to that effect soon.
> Attached is a hack which disables it completely in source for now. I
> hope this is useful for people who are bitten by this.

Well, I am looking forward to see how this problem is solved. Too bad that
I am too busy get really into it, since the subject is very interesting.

Thanks again
Gustavo