I'm really at the end of my rope here.  Since 4.1 came out i have had to
revert on every release back to 4.0.3.  I think I finally have come to a
conclusion its not 'cuz I'm a _complete_ dumbass.

overall setup:
tyan thunder K7 2x1.2mp 768ram
agp: matrox g450
pci cards tried:
tnt2 m64, tnt2 vanta (are they the same?)
3dfx voodoo 3,4
ati radeon 7500

on the exact same hardware/distro, i can get the TNT's to work correctly
with 4.0.3/xinerama.

in 4.1 and 4.2 it appears the keyboard is frozen (i can still ssh in and
reboot, but the displays stayed screwed. either pretty fades from
red->blue->black on the screen or plain black).  the common deniminator
from a visual perspective is that under > 4.0.3 the bios looking readout
is not displayed for the tnt2's (secondary screen) on startup of X. this
led me to beleive that 4.0.3 was somehow initializing differently than >
4.0.3.

the log files only have 1 difference:

(EE) NV(1): Cannot read V_BIOS.
(EE) ATI(1): Cannot read V_BIOS.
(EE) TDFX(1): Cannot read V_BIOS.

everything except X is the same, and xinerama doesnt want to work.

If I: start 4.0.3, three finder salute, start 4.1 or 4.2, the first time
it works.  subsequent starts of > 4.0.3 don't.

if anyone wants config files (ive tried dozens, literally) or some other
procedure please, please please, let me know.

the majority of errors ive found related to this are on ppc's, and i
have found none on intel where it was not a configuration (user) error,
so my asbestos suit is on.

TIA,
dave