I have a laptop with a trackpad that looks like an ordinary PS/2 mouse
(e.g. it does NOT respond well to IMPS/2). However, when running an
external PS/2 mouse, I run a wheel mouse that IS an IMPS/2 device.

Currently, I have to have 2 mouse entries in the XF86Config-4 file
(mouse1 and mouse0) and manually switch between them - a hassle.

I've tried "Protocol Auto" and it doesn't seem to work - it won't detect
what protocol to use.

Has there been any work since 4.2.0 on making this a bit smarter?

System info:
Linux 2.4.18, RH7.2, XFree86 4.2, "No-name" generic wheelmouse from
CompUSA, Broadax 6200 Laptop.