Hello,
in recent years many people were talking about Linux on the desktop.
However, before there is any real chance that this could happen a few
fundamential problems in XFree must be solved. These are:

1. XFree is far too slow.
2. What is presented on the screen should always be consistent (i.e. no
flickering).
(3. It should be possible to configure XFree over a dialog that is intergrated
in Gnome and Kde.)

I'm sorry to say that and I really don't want to offend any people. But
I've hardly seen any progress regarding these problems during the last two
years and I don't see any way how this could change in the next two years.
XFree is evolving very slowly despite the fact that some of the best
developers are working on it. I think the reason for that is that XFree is
far more complex than necessary for its intended job.
I know there have been countless discussions on the X messaging system, but
most of them missed the point. That is that such a messaging system
introduces an enormous amount of complexity. As far as I know the only reason
for having the X messaging system is the remote display feature. But I guess
that less than 5% of the XFree users are actually using this feature and
there are already other solutions like VNC available.
Another source of complexity comes from the ancient, more than 10 years
old X API. Many people argue that one just has to add new extensions to keep
XFree up to date. But this way X gets more and more complex. And why are the
2d graphics drivers in users space while the 3d drivers are in kernel space?
As a result of this complexity the developers working on XFree are less
efficient and it also keeps new developers from joining this project.
What I want to suggest is to start from scratch and design a new, clean
and modern windowing system without any legacy. I know this would be a
pretty radical cut, but I personally don't see any alternative to overcome the
current problems of XFree.
The main problem with a new graphics API would be to keep backward
compatibility with the current application base. But this problem is easy to
solve by just porting XFree to the new API, the way it is done for OS X and
Windows.

Cheers
Lukas