Hi,
The patch for Radoen 9000, M9 and Radeon 9700 2D support has been submitted
and will be in XFree CVS tree in the near future.
9000 and 8500 don't share the same IDs, that's for sure.
Meanwhile specifying ChipID in the config file with a 8500 or 7500 ID is a
correct solution for getting 9000 or M9 to work with the existing X4.2xx
Radoen dirver (2D part only, note this won't work with 9700).
If you specify ChipID with a 8500 ID (0x4242 for example), it will only work
with the single head config.
If you want both heads to work correctly with a dual-head/Xinerama setup,
use a 7500 (0x5157) or a VE ID (0x5159 for example). Although 9000 uses the
same 3D core as used in 8500, its 2D features (dual-head, tvout, etc)
actually follow 7500.
When you use a 7500 or VE ID, make sure to disable DRI. Although the 2D part
of radeon DRI support is likely to work fine with radeon.o kernel driver on
a 9000 (this is because the 2D DRI support only uses DMA to send 2D
commands, doesn't even use the microcode for 2D commands), any ogl app (like
ogl screen savers) will lock whole thing up if DRI is enabled.
The failure experienced by Arkadiusz in
http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/xpert/2002-September/020561.html is
probably caused by the bug with DDA rountines in the old X4.20 driver, this
has been discussed before and has been fixed in XFree CVS tree.

Hope this helps

Hui