On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 04:04:51PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 16 o'clock on Sep 23, David Dawes wrote:
> > I think that RandR should do what it's name suggests: resize and rotate,
> > and the various depth switching and visual emulation problems/features
> > be handled separately.
>
> Visual emulation is separate from RandR, and has been implemented
> a couple of times already.
>
> Given that visual emulation is a good idea in some environments, is it also
> a good idea to be able to change which visuals are expressed in the
> hardware configuration?  PseudoColor emulation on TrueColor is pretty
> expensive when applications start performing colormap animation tricks.

I just plain don't understand why PseudoColor emulation has to be so
expensive.  Can't you just do it in the same manner as the ShadowFB
layer, whereby the screen representation is updated only every 10 ms or
whatever?  Certainly it will be more expensive than a RAMDAC register
write, but it seems like it should be quite reasonable on a modern
machine.

(I can imagine a bunch of optimizations that are possible to handle the
colormap-animating client, but I don't even think they should be
necessary at all.)

-andy