I've been using XFree86 Version 4.2.99.1 (7 June 2002)
compiled from CVS on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 running FreeBSD 4.6-R
using the (accelerated) "trident" driver.

After upgrading the system recently to FreeBSD 4.7-R,
I gave the latest CVS tree (Version 4.2.99.2) dated 21 October 2002
a try.
The accelerated "trident" driver seems to work without much complaint
on this system, but a rather strange problem has arisen.

When I try to run the X client "rxvt", it reports:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so.1: Undefined symbol
"XextFindDisplay"

Same thing when the rxvt binary is built against the new 4.2.99.2 libraries.

I haven't found any other clients that fail the same way
(the client "xfig" causes the X server to crash, but it did that
in the previous CVS version, as well).

What's up with this ?

Is this a FreeBSD problem ?
Is this trouble buried in the 21 October 2002 CVS tree ?

Suggestions, pointers will be appreciated.
Thanks.
--
Gary E. RAFE, PhD