On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 15 o'clock on Nov 1, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
>
> > > How about a signal when vertical blanking arrives?  (1st choice) That, or
> > > something we can select on? (2nd choice)
> >
> >   What are you trying to solve?  The problem of syncing XCopyArea
> > to the retrace?  If so, how does this lead to a solution?
>
> Hook the signal up to an XSYNC counter, block the client on the counter
> with the XCopyArea request sitting in the request buffer.  Signal fires,
> the client is scheduled and the CopyArea executes.

   What?  Did you just say you're going to delay flushing the data
to the server until some time after the retrace happens (there's
a significant latency there) and you think the X-server is actually
going to execute that almost immediately?  If so, that will totally
not work.  The X-server might not even be scheduled anytime soon.
Even the X-server blocking until an ioctl doesn't work very
well.  Not to mention that my hardware doesn't even work this way.

   The burden of retrace syncing needs to be left entirely to the
driver.

                        Mark.