On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Jim Campbell <jwcampb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanted to suggest to the team that we switch from using Firefox to Google
> Chrome as the default web browser for the Lucid release.
>
> At UDS the Ubuntu Mobile team lead announced that they would be switching to
> Google Chrome as the primary browser for the Lucid release for the Ubuntu
> Netbook edition.  Most all developers at UDS were using Chrome, and in
> informal tests Cody and I found it to use much less writeable memory than
> Firefox.
<snip>
> With regards to the packaging, I'm sure we could tie-in with any final
> packages that the mobile team wound up using (I'm not sure whether they
> intend to use Chrome or Chromium).  Chrome will certainly be receiving
> support throughout the LTS life cycle.
>
> I know that Charlie had said that switching browsers for an LTS wouldn't be
> a great idea, but given the points I've mentioned above, it seems one worth
> considering.  What do you think?

I quite like Chrome. I created a "browser responsiveness benchmark",
and found that Chrome basically always responded within 100ms
regardless of background tasks, while Firefox could freeze for
hundreds of milliseconds (and sometimes even for seconds) at time.

http://www.ucc.asn.au/~mccabedj/BrowserResponsivenessBenchmark.html
http://osdir.com/ml/ubuntu-sounder/2009-10/msg00288.html

However, I am a bit surprised that Chrome will be in Lucid, as I
thought that Chrome was not easily packaged. As I understand, RedHat
is not packaging Chrome yet:

Callaway: Chromium: Why it isn't in Fedora yet as a proper package
[December 1, 2009]
http://lwn.net/Articles/364528/

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted