My two cents:

I think it's good if the main quality focus is on the LTS. The short-lived
intermediate versions don't interest me much; I see them as a testbed for
innovations, and not as "work horses" that require extra attention for
stability and reliability. "Want stable? Go LTS!" is a simple message that
everyone can easily understand and approve of, I think.

In 14.04 LTS an important step has been made towards modernization: the
Whisker menu and the single desktop bar. Excellent. Cool and slick. Nice
artwork, beautiful deep blue wallpaper. Radiates quality in a restrained
way.

One thing I'd really like (ceterum censeo, as the Roman statesman used to
say), is to see Abiword and Gnumeric being replaced by LibreOffice. It
would make the default installation so much better.... First impressions
matter a lot.

Regards, Pjotr.