On 11/02/15 16:35, Micah Gersten wrote:

> On February 11, 2015 7:52:56 AM CST, Pasi Lallinaho <p...@shimmerproject.org>
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> in the last community meeting we had some discussion about the target
>> size for our ISO. Since many of the team weren't attending, we wanted
>> bring the discussion in the mailing list.
>>

>> PLEASE NOTE that this is not a idea/proposal thread for ideas on
>> filling
>> the ISO with $software. People who send software suggestions to this
>> thread have the risk of being added to the manual moderation list.
>> Thank
>> you.
>>

>> After we couldn't fit into a CD any more, our target has been 1GB. The
>> argument for that target size was that it was the next usual hardware
>> limit (eg. there aren't many 900MB USB sticks).
>>
>> This discussion is current since we are talking about potentially
>> including LibreOffice; if that happens, we will definitely go over 1GB
>> and there isn't anything we can drop to get back below.
>>
>> My suggestion on the meeting was that if we go over 1GB, our new target
>> should be "below or as close to 1GB as possible, but 2GB at maximum".
>>
>> What do you others think?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pasi
>>
>> --
>> Pasi Lallinaho (knome)                » http://open.knome.fi/
>> Leader of the Shimmer Project         » http://shimmerproject.org/
>> Ubuntu member, Xubuntu Website lead   » http://xubuntu.org/
>>

>> --
> I would suggest a one click install or something similar for LibreOffice amd
> stick with 1GB.

This has been suggested before with LibreOffice and other software. What
does the rest of the team feel about this generally (without having to
+1 or -1)?

> Alternatively, if there are enough testers, produce a version of Xubuntu with
> LibreOffice (maybe called XubuntuOffice :)).

There are hardly enough testers for the current images, so another ISO
isn't a realistic option.

> With the prevalence of Google Docs and Office 365, is there a need for most
> people to have LibreOffice installed locally?

Historically, one of the reasons that we have shipped office
applications was the consideration that not everybody can use their
computer online daily – or at all. If you are one of those, you don't
want to go through the hassle to install basic office applications with
some weird method.

The problem with Google Docs and Office 365 is that the data is
compromised to another party. This isn't always acceptable. Finally, it
doesn't solve the offline situations.

Cheers,
Pasi