Hello there!

If you're interested in the app development side of things, a good starting
point is finding some bugs you'd like fixed and digging in. For any Xfce
components, I recommend joining #xfce-dev on Freenode to ask questions (and
stick around, since folks aren't always around). Otherwise, join #xubuntu-devel
and we can usually point you in the right direction.
Most Xfce components are developed in C, with a few here and there using Vala
and Python. Let me know any particular interests you have and I can help you
get started.
Thanks!