On 01/09/2017 10:03 PM, pereira wrote:
> On 01/09/2017 08:19 AM, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
[...]
>> Though I am German, I have NEVER written German programs. All my
>> programs are in English, because this is the world languange.

All my [few] programs are in English, but I have also written the
documentation in German and French because there were (at the time) no
native-speakers of those languages available locally who understood the
programs. Very different nowadays.

>>> I saw it uses /etc/os-release, which is so well-named that there is no
>>> doubt about what it's good for but I did not know existed. It's good to
>>> know though

There are many good ideas which have never succeeded, alas.

> That's the kind of thing that drives me up the wall. There should be
> standards for these things

Some things need standardising to make life easier for people;
some things simply don't need standardising at all.

> Same with where you put programs that you get elsewhere. You mention
> putting them in /opt:

I must have been off-planet when /opt got "standardised"...I still don't
know where it came from. Possibly one of the most unnecessary changes
ever to affect Linux.

For example, LibreOffice is not "an option", it's an application.

What Linux (and OS software in general) needs is not more and more
standardisation, but a Common Sense Advisor, preferably an individual,
not a committee, whose job is to scream "horsesh*t" very loudly :-)
whenever someone decides to start doing unnecessary things in
unnecessary ways that break everything else for everyone.

It used to be the job of Usenet to do this, but since everything got
politically-correct and moved to SE, the option of flaming offenders has
disappeared, and has been replaced by overworked mods disallowing
questions that they haven't had time to read carefully enough.

///Peter