Yes to all the suggestions to use Libreoffice - with Xubuntu. Download the
install DVD. You can even run from the DVD without installing to your hard
drive! And, test drive Libre from the DVD from the DVD. Just be aware that they
will load because they are not loading from the hard drive. Play it safe and
save important files to a backup.

Ask questions if you get stumped. Welcome to Linux!