Hi all,

If anybody has any ideas on this one, I would be grateful...

I'm currently using 64-bit Debian Stretch, but was recommended to give
Ubuntu a try. Since I use XFCE on Debian, I downloaded 64-bit Xubuntu
16.04.3 LTS via the torrent, verified a correct checksum, burned it to
a DVD, and attempted an installation.

All appeared to go just fine until I got an error message "Sorry an
error occurred and it was not possible to install the bootloader in
the specified location". This was setting the disk configuration
manually (so as to keep existing data) and I'd selected my first (of
four) hard drives for the bootloader.

I was left with a screen giving me three options

Choose a different device to install the bootloader on

Continue without a bootloader

Cancel the installation

Now, I could select any of my four drives in option 1, or select
options 2 or 3, but either clicking the OK button (or hitting ALT-O)
with ANY of the above permutations had no effect. It *appeared* that
the button was being pressed, i.e. it gave that appearance when
clicked or ALT-O, but absolutely nothing happened, I just stayed stuck
at that screen. The only way out that I could find was to hit the
power button (I tried all four drives and all three options). I
retried the installation once more with the same results, not
surprisingly.

So, I went back to my Debian Stretch media, and Debian installed again
without any problem whatsoever, bootloader on the first hard drive. It
seems to work just fine, that's what I'm running now.

This is on an AMD Phenom II 6-core with 8 GB of memory, plenty of free
disk space, etc.

It seems very puzzling that the installation procedure does NOT seem
to have hung, I can change between the three options, or select any of
the four drives, but I just can't get the installation to run without
that error, and can find no way out when the error occurs.

Anybody have any ideas, please?

Brian.