I am in the process of upgrading my Mac mini (mid-2011) from OS X Lion
(10.7.5) to Xubuntu, and I'm running into problems that I also faced with
regular Ubuntu, only with a slight change.  But first, details on what
and how:

1) Mac mini (mid-2011) basic config:
   Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core I7  (dual core)
   Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
   Graphics:  AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB
   Software: OS X Lion (10.7.5)

2) Burned the current xubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso image (verified
   via md5) to my mini's "Superdrive" CDR/DVDR drive, which was also
   verified.

3) Booted using Refit boot menu (the one that works on my Mac) and chose
   said DVD, for which the icon was the usual Linux penguin and the text
   said something along the lines of "Boot Linux from DVD".  With the
   plain Ubuntu, it never showed the icon and only referred to "legacy
   OS".

At that point, I saw what I hadn't seen before, either, again, the
penguin (Tux ... but not my cat Tux).  That stayed there for several
seconds, and then I got what I'm gettting sick of seeing:  a blank
screen that stays blank, and the only way out is the power cord.

I have read that, at least for the Unity version of Ubuntu, the graphics
card's drivers probably need to be installed, and I'm guessing, for now,
that this is also the case.  However, the posts in AskUbuntu that I read
about that also showed that by pressing either the down or right arrow,
a menu (text) would appear.  It doesn't.

So if we assume that the drivers ARE the problem, how do I install the
drivers when I can't see what I'm doing, and Mac OS X can't read the
iso file (only burn it to CD/DVD or use dd to copy it to a drive)?

Or, does the lack of any menu showing up after an arrow key mean
something bigger and worse is going on?

If anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this, please let me know.
If I hadn't already cut it all off, I'd be tearing my air out right now
(cancer #1's final chemo left it very thin and gray, so I finally just
shaved it off recently).

Thanks,
   --jim

PS:  There was once at time, before cancer #1 included 3 brain tumors,
     3 very severe brain surgeries to remove said tumors, and
     whole-brain/max-dose radiation therapy ... and severe chemotherapy
     with Cisplatin (aka Platinol), aka, "100% pure distilled evil in
     an IV bag") that I would have been done with this several days ago,
     but all of that has really taken its toll on my ability to work
     with issues like this.  So again, thanks in advance!

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0

My freeware hurricane tracking system - https://jstrack.org/jstrack/

73 DE N5IAL (/4)          | AN EXERCISE is a situation in which you stop what
spooky130u AT gmail.com   | you're doing in order to simulate doing what you
                          | were doing so you can show someone else that you
ICBM / Hurricane:         | can simulate what you were doing as well as you
   30.439947N 86.635177W  | were doing it before you were interrupted.