Em 06/01/2018 19:12, MR ZenWiz escreveu:
On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Tigerwolf <tigerw...@tigerden.com> wrote:
On Sat, 30 Dec 2017, MR ZenWiz wrote:

I run Xubuntu 16.04 LTS on all my systems.  On my HP8740w laptop,
occasionally when I do something (I'll explain below), the cursor focus on
my terminal windows gets lost and I can't type anything in the terminal
windows.

The vanishing cursor/malfunctioning terminals is also an issue with the Unix
console text terminals when using Ctl-Alt-F1 to -F6

I believe I have found the problem.

My home directory is encrypted on my laptop.  Whenever I go to access
one of the subdirectories for the first time, the machine stops
briefly while it decrypts what it needs to i norder to access the
files.  While this is happening, the whole machine seems to stop.

After a few seconds, everything comes back to life and processing continues.

I suppose I need to be more patient (or use an SSD...).

Thanks.
MR

So this is the old unsolved case of the desktop freezing on I/O operations. I have tried so many different things, but this always comes back to bite me, no matter what disk scheduler I use, if I use a swap or not, how I set vm.dirty_*, etc.

Unfortunately, most kernel developers seem to use SSDs, so I don't think this will ever be fixed. In fact, it seems to have become a lot worse in more recent Linux versions. There were a few patches recently that were supposed to alleviate this problem (Linux 4.10, I think), but I haven't noticed any improvements at all.