On 1/10/20 5:47 PM, Spackman, Chris wrote:
> On 2020/01/08 at 03:47am, John wrote:
>
>> I can't find the format option when I right click the USB drive.
>>
>> Eventually,I can't format the drive.
>> I also can't rename the USB drive.
>
> Disclaimer: I'm not in front of my Xubuntu box right now, so I'm going
> from memory.
>
> I would suggest installing GParted and using that. There might be a more
> new-user friendly method, though, so if you install and open GParted and
> get intimidated, maybe wait for a better answer. Please be careful -
> used carelessly, gparted can reformat your main drive, which would
> probably ruin your day.
>
> That said, GParted is pretty easy to use. Select the usb drive from the
> drop down menu at the top right. Right click on the area showing the
> drive space / partitions. Choose "format to" and then the file system
> type that you want. Usual choices are vfat (fat32 I think it is called?)
> if you plan to use the usb drive on other, non-Linux, computers (such as
> MS Windows or Apple Macs). If it is just for use on Linux, ext3 or ext4
> are good choices.
>
> To give the usb stick a name, use the "Label" or "Name" fields when you
> format it (I honestly forget which one it is - Label, I think, but not
> sure.)
>
> For most straight-forward stuff like reformatting, GParted doesn't do
> anything until you tell it to. So, for example, if you have selected
> "Format to => fat32" and added a label, it won't actually do anything
> until you go to "Edit => Apply All Actions". Then, it will do it. Until
> you do that, you can cancel / undo and redo all you like until you get
> everything like you want. After you click "Apply All Actions", you
> cannot undo.
>
> But, like I said, please be careful. Double and triple check that you
> have chosen the correct drive before you apply any changes. Read any
> messages that GParted gives you very carefully and don't click anything
> if you don't understand what it is telling you.

As noted above, gparted is the answer. Volume info and formatting cannot
be done from the desktop.

You may need to install additional drivers/libraries depending on your
usb stick. Gparted will prompt you about the missing drivers/libraries.

For more info, see the help section on formatting a drive at
https://docs.xubuntu.org/1804/user/C/hardware-devices.html#disks-partitions.

- Victor

Victor Forberger
vforber...@fastmail.fm