On 8/6/20 6:50 AM, lefty wrote:
On 8/6/20 8:46 AM, Victor Forberger wrote:
See
https://linuxatty.wordpress.com/2018/07/23/review-galago-pro-from-system-76-and-xubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver/

Now available the Lemur Pro: https://system76.com/laptops/lemur

I have a System76 Gazelle.
Info: it comes with Gnome. If you want Xubuntu, it's up to you. They offer several suggestions on issues you might have with other desktops. They do not officially support any other desktop. YMMV with desktop and video driver.

My experience was Xubuntu went to a blank screen after logging in. I tried all their suggestions, to no avail. Finally I did a new install, next to Gnome, and it worked. Nothing works like the Big Hammer Approach.

There are a few issues I'm working on, including backlit keyboard, insane trackpad, and other minor things, but it works. I don't have a touchscreen, so I can't comment. If you can afford it, go with the faster NVE drives, at least for the OS drive. The AMD chip laptop is a great deal.

System76's communication and service is second to none. And they're *nice*.

I have yet to have any serious issues with Xubuntu on any laptop, and that's quite a few of them. The best way to test is to run it live, from the install disc/usb. This should expose things that might cause problems. Also pay attention to the newer UEFI boot - you may have to make adjustments to the boot media.

Thank you for the replies.  After looking around; the System76 Lemur Pro looks like a best fit.  The build customization helps as well as the company seems more Linux community-centric (important to me). Price is a little beyond budget but seems more bang for my buck and only because I am getting some better options in the build.

Like most of you, I have not had many issues with Xubuntu on laptops, save the early days and wifi.  But we all grew.  Thanks again for the insights.

--

Fred