On 9/20/22 15:49, Alex Johns wrote:
On 21/09/22 05:17, Dick Steffens wrote:
I am trying to install Xubuntu 20.04 on a Lenovo Ideapad 330. The base install worked fine. It asked me if I wanted to install updates. I said yes. It proceeded to do that for a lot of minutes (I was reading news on another computer, so I don't know exactly how long). At some point the screen went blank. I waited for another long bit of minutes and tried moving the mouse, thinking it might be a screen saver issue, but with no results. I can see the mouse pointer, but get no response to clicks. I powered down and back up. The screen shows the Lenovo splash image, then the xubuntu logo with the arc chasing around in a circle, then the list of journal recovery stuff, then a blank screen with the clock in the upper right hand corner, and then a blank screen with the mouse pointer.

Any ideas on where to start to look to solve this one?

Do a complete reinstall, but turn off the screen saver before you install.

Worked for me

I'll keep that in mind if I run into this again.

I solved the problem by purging the nVidia driver and going with the Nouveau driver.

Thanks for the advice.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens