On Sun, 2022-11-06 at 08:06 +0100, Marc Coevoet wrote:
> Op 5/11/2022 om 19:43 schreef Alessandro Lin:
> > Hallo,
> >
> > I have a problem with read-only filesystem.
> > I describe neatly:
>

> > ... etc. etc.
> >
> > /dev/sda3 on /media/alex/B87A648A7A64476A type fuseblk
> > (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)
> >

> Had the same with a new eternal 2tb disk:
>
> As root
>
> cd /media
>
> chown -R marc .
> chgrp -R marc .
>

> Where marc is my user name.

Hi,

I comment on chown etc. at the end of my email. Btw. id 0 is for root.

I suspect that
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NTFS-3G#Metadata_kept_in_Windows_cache,_refused_to_mount
is the culprit, however, here's some more guessing:

Even for Ubuntu flavours a starting point might be
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/udisks#Permissions ,
https://github.com/coldfix/udiskie/wiki/Permissions .

You also might want to google for gvfs, optional for Xfce, but much
likely installed by a default Xubuntu. Maybe google for thunar and
xfdesktop.

Maybe

$ grep rw /etc/udisks2/mount_options.conf.example -A4 -B4
### Simple global overrides
# [defaults]
# # common options, applied to any filesystem, always merged with specific
filesystem type options
# defaults=ro
#
allow=exec,noexec,nodev,nosuid,atime,noatime,nodiratime,ro,rw,sync,dirsync,noload

### Specific filesystem type options
# vfat_defaults=uid=$UID,gid=$GID,shortname=mixed,utf8=1,showexec,flush
#
vfat_allow=uid=$UID,gid=$GID,flush,utf8,shortname,umask,dmask,fmask,codepage,iocharset,usefree,showexec
--

### For the reference, these are the builtin mount options:
# [defaults]
# vfat_defaults=uid=$UID,gid=$GID,shortname=mixed,utf8=1,showexec,flush
#
vfat_allow=uid=$UID,gid=$GID,flush,utf8,shortname,umask,dmask,fmask,codepage,iocharset,usefree,showexec
#

does help. This is on Arch Linux, but a config must be available by
Xubuntu, too.

I don't know if udisks2 interacts with folder permissions of /media/ or
umask. I don't know how ntfs (IIUC fuseblk is indirectly for ntfs) is
accessed by Linux, since I'm using VMs and wine, no Windows install on
bare metal. IOW if a user has got anyway no write permissions by the
directory, it might mount read only. I don't think so, but you never
know. If it's unwanted that root does access the Windows partition a
group "win" might help, but again even root can't access the ntfs
partition, if it's mounted read only.

FWIW I mount by command line. Gvfs is and empty dummy package on my
machine. I've got udisks etc. installed, but I don't use it.

Regards,
Ralf