Have you looked at the bios boot menu ? There may be something wrong there and you need to have it boot to usb drive

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 1, 2023, at 11:30 AM, Clarence Fender <leftystr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, this is an install from a USB. If it's supposed to install GRUB by itself, it's doing a very poor job :)   I have a 500M EFI partition. It fails.

sda   - all primary partitions
1M (appears by itself, no format)
500M  EFI
50G  ext4  /