I am running xubuntu 18.04 LTS.  For apparently no reason, a few days ago, my printer(s) stopped printing. I tried both printers (Brother MFC-L2710DW and Brother HL-5340 (for DOS printing), both USB interface to my Compaq computer.

I swapped printers, printer cables and USB ports.  My attempts to print are in the CUPS Que.  I can now upon issuing a print command from Libreoffice get a piece of blank paper from the Brother MFC 4 in  one.  Nothing from the HL5340.

i would appreciate any diagnostic ideas.

John