Hi Jonathan,

I just updated several laptops from 20.04 to 22.04, but chose a
different method:

1. Open a terminal (Hold the Windows key and press T)
2. Type the following: sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

The commands above will prompt you for your password. The idea is to
make sure all updates for 20.04 are completely done correctly. The
first part of the command, sudo apt update, updates information about
what updates are available for 20.04, the second part after the &&,
sudo apt upgrade -y will upgrade all the packages, if there are any.
The -y just answers Yes.

At this point, if there's an error the command line might give you a
better idea on how to fix it than the GUI updater.

3. Type the following: sudo do-release-upgrade

Follow the prompts after. Hope this helps,

Charles

On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 at 21:35, Jonathan <vze1am...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem upgrading XUbuntu from version 20.04.6 to version 22.04 LTS.
> The updater always dies at the stage of "calculating upgrade..."
> Sometimes it dies with no error message; other times I get ""
>
> I have posted detailed debug logs on the official Ubuntu support forum,
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+question/703016
>
> The person who responded on the official Ubuntu support forum walked me
> through extensive troubleshooting and then concluded:
>
> "What puzzles me most is that the upgrader tries to remove the xubuntu-core
> package and then claims that it is missing.
> I have no experience with xubuntu, so I do not know what's so specific on the
> xubuntu-core package and its dependencies that it breaks the upgrade."
>
> He then referred me to XUbuntu-specific support.
>
> In its current state, when I run Software Updater to install the latest
> security patches, I get a prompt saying that "Not all updates can be
> installed.  Run a partial upgrade, to install as many updates as possible.
> This can be caused by: A previous upgrade which didn't complete..." so I try
> to run a partial upgrade, but then I the updater freezes.  Please see
> attached screenshot of frozen dialog box.
>
> Thank you,
> Jonathan--
> xubuntu-users mailing list
> xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com