On 09.12.2023 22.29, James Freer wrote:
I have just found that the CD-ROM of mine seems to have died just when
i wanted to install the last version of xubuntu. So haven't been able
to burn a CD.

Installed USB-CREATOR and followed the instructions [all seemed to
copy over ok] but the flashdrive does not seem to boot up. I have been
into setup so it boots first to flashdrive and then HDD. Just boots up
on HDD... the old version on xubuntu.

I remember trying this a few years ago and had the same problem so
just continued with burning an ISO to CDROM [DVD]. I would be very
grateful for some guidance. What else can i try? Can one put the iso
on a hard drive?

james

If you have an USB stick, then why not just use the Ventoy method:
https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html
It's by far the easyest way to install any distro nowadays. No 'burning' needed, just download the ISO, copy it to the Ventoy stick and boot the whole rigmarole from it. Piece of cake.
Regards,
Kaj.
--
Sent from my 100% Microsoft-free workstation.
     Running Linux Kubuntu 24.04 LTS