I don't know this particular board but was given a laptop a few years ago
which in theory should be able to run 64 bit but would only load the 32 bit
version.  A check of the details lead me to have to update the BIOS, when
it took 64 bit quite happily.  It might be worth checking.  Why spend money
when you don't need to?

David Walland

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 at 14:12, Charles M <chasli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> James, afaik you should be able to run a 64 bit version of any OS
> unless you happen to have a 32bit processor in there. The motherboard
> is a Socket 775 board, which is just on the cusp of where there were
> some 32bit Pentium 4 CPUs that would fit in that slot. If you have a
> Pentium 4 then it's not going to work, but if you're using something
> like a Core 2 Duo, you should be fine.
>
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 at 07:05, James Freer <jessejazza3...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'd be grateful if someone could advise if i can run Xubuntu 64 bit on
> > this machine. Reading the manual it mentions about running 32 bit
> > windows and then also stating one can run 64 bit windows. I've left 32
> > bit Xubuntu on there. Now i need to install latest jammy jellyfish LTS
> > which is 64 bit. Want to get a new machine but been ill and off work
> > for a year so short of cash at present.
> >
> > I'm not too technical but always run xubuntu. many thx
> > james
> >
> > --
>

> --
> Charles
> Mastodon: @chaslinux@techhub.social
>
> --

*A race is won by ability, not skin colour*