Hello,

  JT Paasch has written up a blog story about
Renaissance titled "Renaissance".

  JT Paasch writes:

  I finally decided to try out Renaissance, a nice XUL
for GNUStep/Cocoa. It seems pretty nice.

[An ‘XUL’ is an eXtensible User interface Language;
i.e. a markup language used to create an interface for
an application. It’s much like HTML: with HTML you use
tags to describe how a page should look in a browser,
with XUL you use tags to describe how a program should
look on your desktop. It’s nice because it makes
creating interfaces much easier, and I think it forces
the designer to think more explicitly about the visual
grammar/semantics they are employing.]

I found the instructions impossible to understand, but
I did manage to get an example in the documentation
running. Once you figure out how to load up the
Renaissance framework in your application, the rest is
easy: just ‘describe’ your interface with xml
documents, and Renaissance will automatically build
the interface when the application launches. So, for
example, a window is described like this:

<window />

Pretty simple, really. The markup is called ‘gsmarkup’
(for GNUStep Markup), and the dialect is very similar
to Mozilla’s XUL. The hard part is getting the
Renaissance framework all loaded up. As far as I can
tell, you have to override the Cocoa framework’s
default action of loading a NIB file, instead telling
it to launch the Renaissance framework. That gets done
with a delegate. So the whole thing is definitely not
intuitive for the beginning Cocoa developer. But once
you get it, using XUL for the interface has its
benefits.

  Source:
http://www.absconditus.com/blog/index.php?p=14

  Has anyone else tried out Renaissance? What's your
take? Do you prefer NIB files of XUL files?

  - Gerald

Gerald Bauer

XUL Alliance | http://xul.sourceforge.net
United XAML  | http://xaml.sourceforge.net

Interested in hiring Gerald Bauer? Yes, I'm available.

If you know of an opportunity in Toronto or Vancouver,
Canada, please contact me today.