Marc,

KDE
---
For KDE there is an XML API for marshalling/unmarshalling XML. The XML
API is in the _KDE_ API found at:

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/kdeqt/kde3arch/xmlgui.html

It is very primitive, but it is a start.

For Mac, there's a very primitive feature to describe properties:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-matters34.html

Based on a DTD, so no XML Schema and no namespaces. Like I say,
primitive.

And a whole wack of links to specifications (includes XAML & XUL):

http://xml.coverpages.org/userInterfaceXML.html

Marc, as far as trying to create some sort of consortium, I would say
that that would be about as easy as trying to hurd a pile of snakes.
The whole lot is going off in so many different directions. I would
recommend simply selecting one or two APIs that you see as being
worthy (long-term, popular, scalable, etc.) and just go with them. The
reason why I say this is because the whole XML-UI thing has exploded
and everyone and their dog has created one. You'll probably go crazy
trying to round them up.

If it were my bet to make, I would say that for the Unix/Linux world
the Gtk thing will probably be the one to fly (vs. KDE). My reasoning
is because of:
a) the licensing with it is not as messy as the KDE/Qt problem;
b) Gtk has gone a teeny weeny farther with the XML business and;
c) Sun has made noise of switching over to it.

You might as well look into finding ways to make the Gtk thing work.

my .02

Got any contacts of people/groups involved in this?  I'd really like to
see that happen, and I've even been considering the idea of creating
some sort of a consortium or something that promotes this kind of
xaml-ification of toolkits.  Having worked (or my customer having
worked) with big hitters like DevExpress and Infragistics, there's a
wide spectrum of toolkits that need to be brought up to par for
declarative programming happiness to be achieved.